Click here for the full report!
As a small member of the mandarin orange family, the clementine is sweeter and juicier than a traditional orange and are rich in vital nutrients including calcium, magnesium, and vitamin C. It is often confused with other members of the mandarin orange family such as the tangerine or the satsuma. We’re seeing clementines appear in a host of products and recipes- from the traditional clementine-cranberry scone to a more savory roasted chicken with clementines. Let’s take a look at the various forms of clementine on the menu, in social media, and in new products.
Print & Social Media Highlights
There are several mentions of clementine in social and print media. Here are some of the highlights.
- While scrolling through Pinterest, clementine pins appear in a wide variety of food and beverage recipes but especially baked goods. These pins include clementine and chia seed yogurt pound cake, spinach and clementine salad, cranberry clementine coconut bars, roasted chicken with clementine, and clementine honey cheesecake.
- A Twitter search show tweets mentioning clementines, including this one by @healthyrrecipes “Clementine and almond syrup bundt cake” with attached recipe. Also mentioned by @ChicagosNatalie “Eat good and healthy at the same time! Clementine & coconut nib meringues only 25 calories each!” with attached recipe.
- The January 2018 issue of Saveur features a spread on various holiday traditions around the world. In New Orleans, the holidays come with rum and clementines. Included in this article is a recipe for clementine liqueur prepared with dark rum Agricole and clementine peels.
52 Clementine Recipes on Genius Kitchen
On Genius Kitchen, formerly food.com, 52 recipes appear when you search for clementine. Recipes include clementine cake, apple clementine chutney, short rib flatbread with clementine gremolata, clementine martini, clementine cranberry biscotti and iced clementine parfait.
Clementine On The Menu
Fine/ Upscale Dining is the top restaurant segment, with entrée, dessert and appetizer as the top three menu sections with the most clementine flavored items. Beverages account for 44% of all clementine flavored menu items.
- Clementine Almond Cake is made with honeyed yogurt, winter citrus and fennel pollen at Cicchetti.
- Carrot and Fresh Organic Turmeric Soup which features clementine-ginger and toasted buckwheat at Bouley’s.
- Palacinke Agli Agrumi with warm crepes, clementine jam, limoncello cream, caramelized citrus and meyer lemon sorbet at Felidia.
- Herb Roasted Shrimp Cocktail with chipotle and clementine cocktail sauce, avocado and lime smash and corn tortilla strips at the Rattlesnake Club.
A Clementine A Day
There’s an old saying that goes ‘an apple a day keeps the doctor away,’ but what if you eat a clementine? This fruit is packed with fiber and essential nutrients like vitamin C, folate, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium all of which are said to deliver health benefits like strong bones, healthy muscle, heart health, and digestion & electrolytes balance.
Clementine Global New Product Introductions
171 Clementine flavored new product introductions
Global Fast Facts:
- Europe is the top global region for clementine new product introductions with 76% of all new products.
- Juice is the top product sub-category globally for clementine flavored new products.
- Orange is the top flavor paired with Clementine.
Products of the Note
- Bergerie Goats’s Milk Yogurt With Clementine: is described as an organic and natural goats milk on a clementine puree layer. Germany
- Marks & Spencer Chocolate & Clementine Cream Liqueur: is a blend of alcohol, dairy cream, and flavorings and is described as delicious. Ireland
- Waitrose Christmas Clementine and Cranberry Side of Salmon: is a Scottish salmon filet decorated with clementine, cranberries and orange zest. UK
- Morrisons Duck Pate With Clementine: features a smooth duck liver, chicken liver and pork pate with clementine confit. UK
Clementine North America New Product Introductions: 2013-2017
17 Clementine Flavored New Product Introductions
North America Fast Facts:
- North America accounts for 9% of all clementine flavored new product introductions.
- Carbonated Soft Drinks is the top product sub-category for clementine flavored new products.
- Lemon is the top flavor paired with Clementine.
Products of the Note
- Galvanina Organic Fruit Clementine Flavored Italian Sparkling Beverage: this product contains 12% juice and 1% pulp and is USDA certified organic. USA
- Lassonde Oasis Hydrafruit Clementine Fruit Juice Beverage: this pasteurized product contains 60% less calories than the leading regular fruit juice blends. Canada
- Cuties Clementine Mandarin Blend: described as 100% tangerine juice with vitamin C, which is not from concentrate and provides 150% daily recommended intake of vitamin C. USA
- Otter Creek Brewing Fresh Slice White IPA: is brewed with a dose of coriander and a hint of natural clementine flavor. USA
Click here for the full report!
You deserve more. Let’s get started.
What does true partnership look like? You deserve a flavor partner ready to turn these trends into the tangible.
Let FONA’s market insight and research experts get to work for you. Translate these trends into bold new ideas for your brand. Increase market share and get to your “what’s next.” Our technical flavor and product development experts are also at your service to help meet the labeling and flavor profile needs for your products to capitalize on this consumer trend. Let’s mesh the complexities of flavor with your brand development, technical requirements and regulatory needs to deliver a complete taste solution. From concept to manufacturing, we’re here for you — every step of the way.
Contact our sales service department at 630.578.8600 to request a flavor sample or chat us up at www.fona.com/contact-fona/
Sources in the full report