10 Things You Should Know - a look at trends, flavors & ingredientsJune 30, 2014
1. 80% of adults are interested in trying menu items with both dried and fresh herbs including basil, rosemary and cilantro. 50% of consumers are also interested in trying paprika and chile powder varieties as spicy flavors become more popular. | Mintel
2. Ice cream all grown up! The Summer Cocktail Series by Salt & Straw features classic cocktail flavors re-invented in collaboration with Portland’s top bartenders. Limited edition ice cream flavors include Chocolate Chip Mint Julep, Lemon Amaretto Sour Sherbet, Rhubarb & Saffron in Champagne, Pineapple Honey Dorleac and Strawberry & Verbena Pimm’s Cup. | Saltandstraw.com
3. Go for grapes! Grape seeds contain the fruit’s highest concentrated level of disease-fighting antioxidants, according to the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry. Go for a mix in the choice of red, green or black grapes – each variety is rich is different antioxidants.
4. 90% of children ages 4 and up have too much salt in their diet, and out of 5,427 options being offered at fast-food restaurants, only 33 kids’ meals are considered healthy according to the Yale Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity. | Parents
5. Three regionally inspired salad recipes: L.A. Story featuring baked tofu, sugar snap peas, raspberries and almonds, topped with lime juice. New Orleans Nouveau featuring spinach, orange bell pepper, lean ham, corn and pecans, topped with mild hot sauce. NYC Hipster featuring baby kale, cherry tomatoes, sunflower seeds, drizzled with blueberry-infused vinegar. | Weight Watchers
6. Plums are a good source of vitamin A and contain a high level of resveratrol which fights the signs of aging. Black plums are the most common with purple-black skin and sweet, juicy flesh while red plums are crimson-colored and add subtle sweetness along with mellow tartness. Both varieties are in season until October and are excellent in salads and baked goods. Indulge this summer while they are in season until October. | Rachaelray.com
7. Spotted on Pinterest are several recipes for fruity, refreshing sips of Sangria including Carolina Peach, Pineapple Mojito, Honeydew & Pear and Strawberry Rhubarb. Experiment with summer- seasonal fruits including plums, strawberries, rhubarb and melon to create your own personal pour.
8. Try Tahini! Made of ground, hulled sesame seeds, this paste is most often an ingredient in Middle Eastern dishes. Its subtle flavor and texture has made it popular in hummus, dip and condiment recipes. Mix one part honey and two parts tahini and serve with apple slices for a quick, sweet-savory snack. | Martha Stewart Living
9. Coffee Cocktails: three cool, caffeinated concoctions sure to beat the heat. Caffé Shakerato featuring a simple combination of cold-brew coffee, chocolate syrup and sweetener. Alive & Kicking featuring Box Whisky Co. Orangerine and simple syrup, garnished with an orange twist. Dublin Iced Coffee featuring cold-brew coffee, Irish whiskey, heavy cream and fresh grated cinnamon. | Saveur
10. The classic Caprese salad re-invented four ways to incorporate summer’s market-fresh, in-season ingredients: Cantaloupe, Scamorza & Mint, Roasted Red Pepper, Feta & Chive, Grilled Eggplant, Ricotta Salata & Dill and Peach, Burrata & Tarragon. | Bon Appétit
FONA CAN HELP!
Let FONA’s market insight and research experts translate these trends into product category ideas for your brand. They can help you with concept and flavor pipeline development, ideation, consumer studies and white space analysis to pinpoint opportunities in the market. Our flavor and product development experts are also at your service to help meet the labeling and flavor profile needs for your products to capitalize on this consumer trend. We understand how to mesh the complexities of flavor with your brand development, technical requirements and regulatory needs to deliver a complete taste solution. From concept to manufacturing, we’re here every step of the way. Contact our Sales Service Department at 630.578.8600 to request a flavor sample or visit www.fona.com.