Category Insight: Vitamins and SupplementsNovember 21, 2016
According to the Natural Marketing Institute, nearly 58% of consumers say that supplemental vitamins and minerals are important to maintain overall health. In fact, 86% of consumers have used some sort of supplement in the past year, and use is prevalent across all generations.
With gummy, chewable, soft chew and liquid showing the most growth, flavor is more important than ever. Let’s take a look at the overall trends in the space, and how they might impact your product development.
A global look at new product introductions for vitamins and supplements shows a 32% increase from 2014-2015. New product introductions for vitamins and supplements in North America shows a 5% decrease from 2014-2014, though that is still stronger than the 20% decrease in 2013-2014.
According to a recent Mintel survey, about 80% of consumers aged between 35-44 have reported use of vitamins, minerals and or supplements in the past year and about 75% of people ages 45-54 reported it as well. Continued innovation focusing on new and exciting flavors and functionally as well as preventative measures will keep loyal consumers purchasing vitamins, while attracting a newer and younger audience.
When it comes to flavored vitamins, gummies are often the way to go. NMI’s national survey shows thaty it has the highest growth of all formats. Gummies are targeted toward all ages with their variety of flavors, shapes and functions, including fun shapes, fruit-flavored or cocktail-inspired, there is a gummy for everyone.
With 68% growth in 2014-2015, the most popular flavor in vitamins and supplements is lemon. A close second would be strawberry with 67% growth. We are also seeing products with raspberry, orange and cherry flavoring as well.
Top Global Vitamin & Supplement Flavors
Humans’ first defense against illness often depends on the strength of the immune system. We are seeing a host of new products for adults that focus on proactively maintaining good health. They often position vitamins and mineral supplements as products that can ward off illness. These claims especially appeal to older adults and youger more health-conscious consumers, as well.
Products of Note
Oregon’s Wild Harvest Turmeric Herbal Supplement
• Herbal extract standardized to 95% curcuminoids, made with 100% non-GMO ingredients
• Contains no dairy, wheat, peanuts, soy, gluten or corn allergens
• Turmeric’s antioxidant properties provide protective nutritional support to the cardiovascular system, joints and liver
Well at Walgreens Caramel Flavored Calcium Soft Chews Dietary Supplement
• Contains 500mg of calcium, Vitamin D and K
• Regular exercise as well as this dosage of calcium will help maintain and build good bone health and may reduce the risk of osteoporosis
• Contains no artificial flavors, gluten, lactose and trans fat, also supports heart health, brain health and eye health
Genesis Today Omega 3-6-7-9 Dietary Supplement
• Blend of essential fatty acids from cold pressed, extra-virgin super fruit and seed oils
• Helps to promote healthy hair, skin and nails as well as cognitive function
• Contains no preservatives, added refined sugars, soy or dairy
The Power of Turmeric
About 30% of new vitamin product launches in the U.S. contain turmeric. Named the 2016 superfood to watch, turmeric is a spice with natural anti-inflammatory benefits. We are seeing this super spice pop up in various beverages like juice drinks, sports drinks, milk shakes and hot beverages like tea. The anti-inflammatory benefits of turmeric may appeal to consumers with inflammation-related health concerns. For an even higher dose of this super spice, we are seeing supplements packed with turmeric. These supplements can provide consumers with higher doses of turmeric that can be gained through diet alone.
Products of Note
Osteo Bi-Flex Herbal Formula with Turmeric Dietary Supplement for Joints
• Features the exclusive JointSheild formulation, which helps soothe joints and helps with the occasional joint stiffness
• Formula features carefully selected herbs including turmeric, white willow bark, bromelain, tart cherry and cayenne pepper
• Contains no shellfish or gluten
Natural Factors Curcumin Rich Turmeric Root Theracurmin Capsules
• Contain curcumin which is the yellow pigment of turmeric valued for its many health benefits
• Theracurmin is an enhanced form that increases absorption over 30 times compared to regular curcumin
• Features superior bioavailability, is free from preservatives, color, sweeteners, dairy, soy, wheat and yeast
Radiance Turmeric Dietary Supplement
• Formulated with curcumin, a plant based antioxidant that helps fight cell-damaging free radicals
• Free from preservatives, yeast, wheat, gluten, milk, milk derivatives, lactose, sugar, soy, artificial color, artificial flavor and salt
Vitamin and mineral supplements typically targeted older generations, but we are now seeing vitamins positioned toward younger adults as well. Younger generations are more attracted to a vitamin product if it is in a gummy or chewable form. They also look for specific claims and functions. According to a recent survey by Mintel, 80% of people ages 18-34 claim to use vitamins to prevent acne breakouts, 87% will use vitamins to attempt to whiten teeth, and 86% will use vitamins to protect skin from sun damage.
Products of Note
Creative Bioscience Beauty Formula Dietary Supplement Capsules
• Dynamic formula that contains clinically supported ingredients such as biotin, BioCell Collagen and daily dose of Vitamin A, D, E and C
• Said to provide beauty benefits for hair, skin and nails
• GMO and gluten-free
CocoaVia Daily Cocoa Extract Supplement
• Made with patented Cocoapro cocoa extract, sourced from 100% Indonesian cocoa
• Delivers 250mg of cocoa flavanol per serving which helps to deliver oxygen and nutrients to the organs and tissues and works to support healthy aging by promoting cardiovascular health
• Fix Youth Activating Acai Raspberry Flavored Hair, Skin, Nails Dietary Supplement
• Claimed to reduce fine lines and wrinkles, strengthen and thicken hair, improve skin elasticity and strengthen nails
• Contains other natural flavors and clinically proven ch-OSA to regenerate collagen
FONA CAN HELP!
Let our market insight and research experts translate these trends into product category ideas for your brand. They can help you with concept and flavor pipeline development, ideation, consumer studies and white space analysis to pinpoint opportunities in the market.
FONA flavor and product development experts are also at your service to help meet the labeling and flavor profile needs for your products to capitalize on this consumer trend. We understand how to mesh the complexities of flavor with your brand development, technical requirements and regulatory needs to deliver a complete taste solution. From concept to manufacturing, we’re here every step of the way. Contact our Sales Service Department at 630.578.8600 to request a flavor sample or visit www.fona.com.
SOURCES: Mintel: Vitamins and Supplements, Mintel GNPD, Nation’s Restaurant News, Voice of America News, World Journal of Gastroenterology, Natural Marketing Institute Health & Wellness Report 2016